Sunday, July 6, 2008

Wedding Diaries: The 2008 Edition

Pre-wedding bridesmaids
How many monogrammed travel bags should one person have?
Great band
The happy couple

As I mentioned, my friend KR, (now KB) got married last weekend. KB was one of my roommates my last two years of college, and a great friend since the beginning of college when we pledged the same sorority. KB getting married meant that I got to spend three days in South Texas playing with my friends celebrating a major event in her life.

Since most friends my age use their travel days and travel budgets to attend weddings, we treat them like vacations that also happen to be reunions. I'm easy to please these days.

While we were getting ready for the wedding, my friend JP was talking about how her upper lip starts quivering whenever she smiles too much, i.e. when you're a bridesmaid and all you do is smile and hold flowers for two+ hours while you take pictures before a wedding, are concious of a photographer lurking and taking candids of you during a wedding and ultimately the formal pictures after the wedding.

I thought I was doing great, until 1. we learned at the rehearsal that we would all be singing the hymn "Holy, Holy, Holy" without the words in front of the entire congregation, and 2. we all got in position at the church and I found myself in the direct line of the video cameraman, meaning when Mr. & Mrs. B watch the video of their vows 20 years from now; about half of my face will be in the shot the entire time. And we all thought that prom photos were demanding. Child's play- that was only practice for the marathon that is wedding photography.

Ten of us drove to the Salt Lick in Dripping Springs after the wedding Saturday afternoon, and we spent the night at LB's house in Austin, mainly hanging out in the hot-tub and talking about adult matters such as sedans, grad school and Lasik eye-surgery... which was closely followed by a game of Categories in the pool and an 11:30 bedtime.

"To me, fair friend, you never can be old,
For as you were when first your eye I ey'd,
Such seems your beauty still."
-William Shakespeare, Sonnet 104

1 comment: