Thursday, February 12, 2009

Anne Boleyn

After the tire fiasco at the beginning of this week, I managed to sleep, that really intense, dead-to-the-world sleep, until the ripe hour of 8:30 a.m. this morning without so much as stirring once. The only reason I woke up then at all was because my mother brought something upstairs and startled me awake my yelling "you're still here?!"

I am officially feeling like one of Henry VIII's wives this week. Not just any old divorcée either, but rather like one of the headless ones.

You see, 8:30 a.m. is when I am supposed to be at work. Dear iPhone's battery died sometime during the night, thus rendering my alarm incapacitated. I frantically threw things out of my purse, looking for my phone charger, plugged it in and called my boss to let him know the situation.

After a quick shower and clothes selection, I started grabbing seemingly everything I needed to walk out the door. I couldn't find my Aggie ring, but saw my diamond band sitting on my night stand, put it on, threw on a black jacket over my gray dress, grabbed a Yoplait and ran out the door. I was at work before 9:45 a.m. with my big sunglasses and hair in a damp bun. Cuuute.

I had a message on my phone at ten from my mother, first asking if I had left my head somewhere, and telling me that the gym called, and that someone had turned in my Aggie ring to the front desk this morning. I left in my locker last night after leaving the session with my Pilates instructor. This ring, while technically replaceable, really isn't at all. I worked and studied and tested for hours to get that ring- it represents the pinnacle of my college education. And I left it in a gym locker because I was checking my voicemail. At least there are still honest people in the world.

I ran out quickly in the middle of the day to pick up lunch from Pei Wei, and while rifling through my purse, realized I forgot my wallet at home. While searching for my phone charger, I must have discarded it onto the floor with the rest of my life and brain functions. I had loose cash in my bag, so I was fine, but still. I don't think that Josh at Pei Wei would have settled for an IOU.

When will it end?! My mom is attributing it to the volume I have been traveling, which was the perfect time to tell her that I have to go to Chicago on Monday and Tuesday of next week for a meeting.

I don't think I have to make up an excuse to get a massage and do as I wish all weekend. There might be a stiff martini thrown in for good measure, and I don't even drink martinis, it's just been that kind of week.

The silver lining is that I was able to take everything in stride. I got to a place where nothing bothered me and I was not frustrated with myself, because it is wasted energy to live any other way. I may have been a royal screw-up all week, but that is no reason why tomorrow cannot be a good day.

Though, it is Friday the 13th... oy vey.

"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair..."
-Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, by Judith Viorst

10 comments:

erin - heart in ireland said...

Hope things get better! We all have those days where nothing goes right! At least your ring was returned!

Anonymous said...

What a day! Have yourself a fabulous weekend--you deserve it!

Anonymous said...

I hate those kind of days! At least it's Friday and you can (hopefully) relax before you head off to Chicago!

PS: I am so jealous that you get to travel so much for your job!! ;-)

Bella@That damn expat said...

One of those days, huh?

Anonymous said...

ahh at least you didn't get gum stuck in your hair...

*krystyn* said...

Eeeks - I hope the 13th is going better for you!

I too, am jealous that you get to travel so much for work. I realize it's not so glamorous as it looks after a while, but I still think it would be fun.

Glad they returned your ring.

Andhari said...

Things will look up soon, glad to know they returned your ring :)

Anonymous said...

Finally had a chance to run over here and check out your blog. The way you write is interesting. I find it intriguing that you have a quote at the end of every post. And there seems to be a lot of variety to them as well. I'm impressed!

Em

Unknown said...

Ugh its just one of those days eh?

omg after ityped that sentence i realized bella said the same thing haha

great minds think alike ;)

Anonymous said...

ugh, don't you just hate those pouring-rain-type-days? Hopefully your trip to Chicago is uneventful and you have a great time!