Thursday, November 20, 2008

Filling the Harry Potter-sized void

At midnight tonight I will turn into pumpkin; becoming a teenager again for a few hours at least while I sit amongst them to see the 12:02 AM showing of Twilight.

I bought the tickets over a week ago; I have no shame.

I will don my Uggs and a fleece, (it's a bit chilly and I'll blend in with the young ones better than I would in my business casual), and meet up with my friend RM to get our Starbucks holiday drinks of choice.

We've done this before, but I won't even begin to tell you about the time we went to see TRL because that is just embarrassing.

Last summer we went together to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix at midnight the day it came out. We have been emailing back and forth for weeks anticipating this movie; he just moved back to Dallas from New York (woo hoo!) but before he had even left NYC he made sure to lock in our plans for tonight. He's bringing his friend Kimberly too, who I'm already inclined to like for the sheer fact that she's totally game for all of this.

My friend BD in New York got invited to a pre-screening of the movie in New York and assured me that I will not be disappointed. She also transitioned that gchat conversation into an anecdote on a recent night out in the city, when she was bitten by a drunk guy who was hitting on her at a bar. He literally bit her. I guess he was trying to go in for the kill... (sorry, the vampire jokes have started). Maybe he thought he could be smooth like Edward Cullen, who even knows? Luckily there were other Twilight fans there to witness this transpire, and no, unfortunately she did not have a hickey the next day (I asked).

So needless to say, I can't wait for this Dracula meets Romeo & Juliet, meets emo teen angst and a Taylor Swift song combination. I don't think I'll be disappointed.

"I'd rather die than stay away from you."
-Bella, Twilight

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY for twilight! It only comes to theaters here in Dec, possibly Jan. You have no idea how this is killing me.

meghan said...

how was it? i'm seeing it tomorrow. cannot wait!

Frankie said...

omg please lemme know if its worth the crazy teen crowds

Amy said...

There were five different showings starting at 12:01 AM and it was like trying to herd cats for the Cinemark employees. Poor kids.

I liked the movie- I feel like you always have to adjust your expectations when you really liked a book because there's no way to fit all of the little details into a two-hour film. That said, I'm sure I will see it again AND buy the soundtrack.