Monday, November 3, 2008

Early Voting

Late Saturday night, I arrived home from watching the much-heralded UT vs. Texas Tech game. I wasn't feeling great and wasn't really tired, and so I got ready for bed and snuggled into my down pillow-top mattress, down comforter and no fewer than five down pillows to read Eclipse until my Tylenol PM kicked in.

Around 12:22 AM on Sunday morning I was startled out of my vampire trance as my phone rattled on my bedside table. I had received a text from my life-long friend ND, who is a high school teacher slash beach goddess in Hawaii. (We refer to each other as "N" and "A", a la Serena and Blair, or "S" and "B" on Gossip Girl) It read:

A- No loss is worse than four years in Lubbock. Amen.

I totally agreed.

N- I hear ya, I thought for a minute there that their fans might cost them the game (twice). Season is not over, either!

She responded:

Amen! I hope Obama wins!

Oy. Agree to disagree on that one, N.

Goodness I love that girl.

Our friendship is such that we literally grew up across the street from one another, went to completely different Texas colleges and have different beliefs of American politics. She writes me the most laugh out loud funny emails and whenever she comes home for vacation (Texas is considered a vacation when you live on a resort in Hawaii, who knew?) we usually spend hours lounging and discussing books and life and romance (her specialty) all while refusing to take off her cowgirl boots.

Democrats and Republicans should actually try agreeing every so often. They would probably accomplish more anyway, and they would have more time to discuss what happened on tonight's episode of Gossip Girl, like N & I do.

"People are taking their comedians seriously and their politicians as jokes."
-Will Rogers

No comments: