Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Robbing the cradle

Is it just my Olympics hangover talking, or is anyone else starting to think that Shawn Johnson and David Archuleta might make the perfect tween couple? They actually have a lot in common, when you think about it, all of his touring and her meets, their pint-sizedness, their innocent little chipmunk smiles. They would bump Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens off the OMG message boards faster than you can say "bet on it".

I think I lost a few of you at "tween couple".

Speaking of the opposite of tweens- which is a word I don't even like and have now used three times- age has once again surfaced as an amusing topic of conversation amongst my friends because of recent encounters with the 30+ male population in Dallas. 30 in and of itself seems like a great age. I plan on finding out in 6 1/2 years, and until then I'll take your word for it. It also kind of screams "get your life together- this is for real now!"

I think that, judging by my friends and our extensive email chains relating to dating men (“30” qualifies one to earn the title higher than just “guy”), that most of us probably aren’t there yet… and possibly won’t ever get there.

Think about a man who is 35-years-old hitting on you, as a 23-year-old. I may not be a math enthusiast, but I can tell you that I’m probably not okay with an age gap the size of a 6th grader (that’s right-12 years- and we all know that middle school is no laughing matter) separating me and the guy, excuse me, “man”, I’m sitting across from at dinner.

Someone who is 35 is a mere three years away from their 20-year high school reunion.
35 is roughly the halfway point between my parents’ ages and mine.
35 warrants an explanation of why you’ve never been married and if you have any random toddlers stashed around the country.
I was in the 3rd grade when my parents were 35.

And last but most, 35 is perilously close to 40.

No wonder they want to date girls in their early twenties- I think most people would rather look over their shoulder than think about going over the hill.

"GATHER ye rosebuds while ye may,
Old time is still a-flying:
And this same flower that smiles to-day
To-morrow will be dying.

The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun,
The higher he's a-getting,
The sooner will his race be run,
And nearer he's to setting.

That age is best which is the first,
When youth and blood are warmer;
But being spent, the worse, and worst
Times still succeed the former.

Then be not coy, but use your time,
And while ye may go marry:
For having lost but once your prime
You may for ever tarry."
-Robert Herrick, "To the Virgins, to Make Much of Time"

No comments: