Thursday, January 14, 2010

Twenty-Five

I am 25-years-old today.

There is nothing particularly momentous about this age or any trappings that come with it, but the number means that I have lived a quarter-century of life. Yesterday I went back and read posts from my 24th and 23rd birthdays and got to remember where I was and what they were like for me.

I look at my life and where I am today and I can't help but feel incredibly fortunate. I am a blessed individual. By contrast I see the pictures and read the stories of what is going on in Haiti this week and just think that nothing I have ever experienced could compare to what those people are dealing with right now. This is my 179th post on this blog and I generally talk about myself and my life and ME, but today my heart is elsewhere.

I look around and I wonder why it is that I have countless daily luxuries and yet don't always see them as the privileges but obligations. Why is it that there are people who already live in a third-world country and who are suffering to an even greater extent because of this huge tragedy? There are many questions and prayers that could be lifted up at this time, and are, but obviously there are other immediate needs for humanitarian aid efforts in Haiti. Many of us have already heard about making financial donations, but I have also heard about the need for Red Cross blood donations, so I took a big gulp and swallowed my dislike of needles and seeing blood in general to find out where I might go to get poked. Eligibility criteria for donating blood can be found here, in case you were wondering.

I think we all can forget that even when news stories slow down following a tragedy, the aftermath remains. Just because you don't see a headline, doesn't mean that people's lives are stable again. This story will soon wane from our daily viewing but the devastation will be far from gone.

I praise God for the 25 years I have spent on earth and I pray that I can live in a way that honors and pleases Him for the next 25.

I helping God's people in Haiti is a good start.

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito.
-Betty Reese

7 comments:

tootie said...

Happy Birthday!! May this be a great year for you!

Caitlin said...

Happy birthday! You can think of your blood donation as a very generous birthday present, to a country that desperately needs it!

erin - heart in ireland said...

happy birthday!

Bluebelle said...

Happy Birthday!

Andhari said...

Happy birthdayyy! That's such an amazing start :) it will mean a lot to them and I believe when you do good things, good things will happen to you as well :)

Carrie said...

Thanks for posting this and the link to the Compassion site. There is so much need and I admire you for taking a moment out of your birthday to point that out.

FROM THE RIGHT BANK said...

Hi, Amy, happy belated birthday! I hope your day was wonderful. And thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I love this quote! :)