Thursday, September 11, 2008

My kind of wonderful

There’s nothing quite like hurricane season in Texas. I can hardly keep track of which one is “headed our way” at this point; I think it must be Ike, considering those are the three letters over the huge red blob covering Texas on the Doppler radar.

It’s been dreary most of the week, which makes everyone (or me) lethargic. I got an email from a friend the other day at work who read my mind, and we both agreed that the most ideal situation at that moment would have been to be in bed, wrapped in a down comforter, eating a grilled cheese and slumbering to the sound of rain and season one of Gossip Girl.

I know, right? Fantastic.

It also got me thinking about how much I love grilled cheeses, and how I haven’t had one in months, which may as well be years at this point. I started looking up different grilled cheese recipes, and appropriately enough, I found two interesting variations from NYC and DFW.

In New York, this is considered the best grilled cheese on the market.

In Texas, it looks like they’ll be serving up a nice fried version at the State Fair this year.

Eating a perfectly cooked grilled cheese with the right combination of cheeses and a good crunch is like seeing the stars align. It’s like when all of your laundry is clean, folded and put away, your dry cleaning is ready and your sheets and towels are fresh out of the dryer.

A girl can dream.

“You know it’s a good recipe if it starts with a stick of butter.”
-Paula Deen

1 comment:

tootie said...

I love grilled cheese! My tip is making them on the George Foreman. Sounds crazy, but it's so good! They taste like panini's. It helps if you use thicker bread (sourdough, etc). Enjoy! :)